Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Networked Publics

 I have had my cell phone attached to my hip for the past fifteen years. Throughout those fifteen years I have occasionally thought about how this device effects me socially. Every once in a while when I was at dinner with a group of friends I would notice someone sitting on their cell phone while everyone else was talking. I would become annoyed and think that this type of behavior was incredibly rude (which it is). However, I would then catch myself doing the same thing while I was at the dinner table with my parents. I was no different then the people I had once considered rude. It was clear to me that cell phones were effecting peoples lives by the way they were interacting and communicating with people that are in their presence. As I have become older I have tried to recognize this type of behavior and stop myself. I will, however, still periodically catch myself paying attention more to my cell phone than to my loved ones around me. I am glad that I started to recognize this issue because I do feel that it is a problem. I do not want to be so engulfed in social media, games, or surfing the internet that I miss precious time with those that I love. This reading helped open my eyes to just how much cell phones are effecting all of us as a society. Varnelis and Friedburg described this perfectly when they stated, "With connection there is also disconnection, and networks can consolidate power in the very act of dispersing it." (Varnelis, Friedburgh, Pp.16)

The tools that are being put into practice are technological advances, such as cell phones, that are changing social interactions in our society. I feel that this issue would be in the critical dimension of Green's approach to literacy because when considering the issues pertaining to cell phones we are thinking of how it effects people socially and on a deep level. In Chapter 1, Varnelis and Friedburgh begin showing us the effects that cell phones have on social interactions by talking about how public places look now compared to before the cell phone. "Public space became increasingly privatized and virtualized, with networks of individuals being replaced by television broadcast networks, and individuals becoming less and less citizens and more and more consumers." (Varnelis, Freidburg. Pp. 18) This quote made me think back to times that I have been in public alone. Did I begin a conversation with a stranger? Did I notice my surroundings? The answer in most cases was no. Instead of engaging in a conversation with someone I took out my cell phone and got on Facebook or played Candy Crush. Then I started to wonder what kinds of experiences I have missed out on because I was too zoned into my phone to notice anything or anyone else. 

I felt strongly about this topic because it was one that I could really relate to on a personal level. I really enjoyed this chapter because not only did it open my eyes to the issues in our society, and in my personal life, but it made me want to make changes. Being aware of these issues is incredibly important. I have always felt that living my life to the fullest is key to a happy life. Part of living my life to the fullest means gaining as many experiences as I can, spending quality time with the people I love and appreciating my surroundings. All of these things that are so important to me I have let be negatively effected by my cell phone. I do feel that cell phones were a wonderful technological advance and they have had many positive impacts on peoples lives. It is important for people to be aware of the issues that can consume their lives without them noticing. It is so important for our society to get their noses out of their cell phones and interact with their surroundings. We would all benefit because we would build more relationships and gain more personal experiences. 


Reference:

Varnelis, K. (Ed.).(2008). Networked Publics. Cambridge, Massachusetts: The MIT Press.

 

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Emily.

    I also prefer to be "unplugged" in certain settings. Let's try engaging with at least one stranger the next time we are in grocery store by asking them how they feel about "plugged in" devices in public spaces.

    My aunt used Facebook LIVE at my brother's wedding 3 weeks ago. This enabled many people to stream the wedding. I am not saying that we should go to the super market "together" via live streaming, but I think that our devices are becoming "part of the family." However, I feel like my cell phone is like a long lost cousin who comes to town and just won't leave. I enjoyed your perspective.

    Thanks,
    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily!

    I love your thoughts on this post! I have heard several interesting solutions to the cell phone stuck to your hand issue. In a group of friends if you're going out to eat everyone places their cell phones in the middle of the table and the first one to touch theirs has to pay the bill. It's incredibly interesting that what connects us in the virtual world is the very same thing that distances us in the real world. When I am with family or friends I actively put my phone in a separate room for the very reason that I want to spend time with people and not my phone. I also make sure that it is nowhere in sight when I am working on homework. However, when out and about and by yourself it does seem to help pass the time. I use it the most while waiting at the dentist office or the doctor's office, but it's also kind of comforting in a social setting that may be uncomfortable. Do you ever notice that it seems contagious? If one person in the groups takes out their phone it's almost like permission for you to check your phone too.I'm with you to make a more conscious effort to engage more with people instead of allowing them to talk to the top of your head while looking down at our phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay,

      I have noticed that it is almost contagious! Since I have a child, if I am not with him, I make sure to have my phone somewhere that I can hear it if it goes off or text to see how he is doing. Besides that, I am going to work on having it out of sight and hopefully out of mind. As I grow up I have found it to be much easier to put the phone down and pay attention to what is going on around me. However, almost always when I am waiting in a doctor's or dentist's office I am always on my phone to pass the time. I think being aware of our cell phone obsession with help us because we will recognize when we are to engulfed in our phones to realize what is going on around us!

      Delete
  3. Hi Emily,
    In reading your first paragraph in your post Networked Publics how cell phones can become intrusive and probably at times disrespectful. We as a society are caught up in this trap of electronic media-cell phones, social media, family, friends, and emails etc. To add to this frenzy what about online education: additional media to follow and stay in contact with professor and classmates. On my days off I find myself online 7 to 10 hours with breaks in between, then at certain times of the I would log online to ESC/Moodle and check on classes; this semester I that idea to rest resist the urge to check on classes I will check emails in Google if I’m looking for a message from our professors. We as humans are creatures of habit, I’m all in favor of modern technological advances if used in the right context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our every day lives have made it necessary for us to engage in technological advances whether they be cell phones, computers, etc. With online education I get on my computer multiple times throughout the day to check discussions and possible new posts. This is essential in my success in my college classes as well as my career. What I feel I need to improve on is staying focused on my surroundings when it is time spent with my family or my friends. I do not mean you can't occasionally check your phone every once in a while. I am talking about the people who go out to dinner and sit on their phones instead of partaking in the conversation. I think that technological advances are wonderful and have made great positive changes in our society. However, I feel it is important not to let these advances take over other aspects of our lives that are so important.

      Delete